Saturday, October 1, 2011

Weekend treat: Hairblog

Ok... so like the title of this blog states: This is not your average homeschool (nor traditional blog for that matter), I like to cover everything that goes on in our lives. With that said, I save the really "mom" stuff for the weekends... so this post is strictly about me! 


From Chris Rocks' movie GOOD HAIR -
little girl getting a relaxer (please never do this to your kid)
I have been debating for quite some time the next direction I wanted to take with my hair. With the background decent of African American, White, Indian and Irish...my hair is not one dimensional. I am a mixed breed and if there is any indication of that..its in my hair, I have 3c, 4a, 4b type of hair - all in one head. One day one part of it can be extremely kinky, the other curly, the other straight as a whistle, and the other part just full of tangles... so I've always been on the quest for the "right" thing for me and my hair. For years I have been getting a relaxer - perm. What is that?  well... relaxer is a type of lotion or cream generally used by people with afro textured hair, which makes hair less curly and also easier to straighten by chemically "relaxing" the natural curls. The active agent is usually a strong alkali, although some formulations are based on ammonium thioglycolate instead. (wikepedia)


Now, my hair can take a lot. I've put it through some changes and it always manages to come out on top but with the coming of age and having to do 2 other heads of hair, I knew the time for playing games with my hair was over. I was sick and tired of wasting hours of my day in the hair salon to put on the "creamy crack", and I couldn't get my hair to grow past a certain length. So... I put in some braids, sew in a weave (sorry...I like length) and was on the quest to grow out the relaxer and be all natural.


Yeah. About that... natural works great for my girls. I know exactly how to style, what to use, and the dos and donts. With my hair however, the transition phase of growing my relaxer out was not ideal. Actually I hated it! I thought before that my hair was unmanageable but that transition phase was NO JOKE. I loved the curls of my natural hair, but it was breaking off right at the point of where the perm was ending and the new growth began, and that's not cool. It took hours to wash and comb out, and even then I felt I just wasn't getting "through". I was tired and I knew I could not wear braids, weaves or even wigs for the rest of this process. I couldn't because its just not me. So I began my journey of searching and researching for the perfect solution for me.


After tons of research by both professionals, consumers, scientists  - I did a lot of interviewing, placing calls and outweighing the pros and cons. I found this out : The keratin treatment wasn't as harsh as the brazilian treatment nor a perm which has chemicals such as  such as sodium hydroxide or calcium hydroxide, or chemicals you'll find in curling perms like ammonium thioglycolate. The perm and its chemicals were stripping my hair down to nothing - no protein - no elasticity  - just a mere straight strand barely hanging on.  I also leaned that unlike a relaxer that stays on your hair permanently, the keratin treatment will eventually wear off - so if I didn't like it in 2-3 months I was free of it or I could repeat the process until all the perm had grown out but this was my solution to managing my hair while in transition. Now... this is not a process that will get your hair bone straight and I am ok with that. I like my natural curls - I just want to be able to manage them better.


With the keratin treatment, hair is straightened with the active ingredient keratin, a protein very like one of the components of human hair. Keratin works to "naturally" straighten the hair. Fans of the treatment claim that it actually strengthens the hair since keratin is so similar to hair's natural protein and over the course of treatments it will naturally get straighter and straighter. Furthermore, I like the treatments because they don't damage your hair like the relaxers or the Japanese straightening treatments. Instead, the added conditioning layer is protecting your hair for at least 6 weeks to 4 months, depending on your hair type, how often you wash your hair and the products you use. So far I love it and have yet to see anything but healthy, flowing hair that's smooth and frizz free.


For more information and research check out this info or you can contact the wonderful stylist at Shear Envy, who did my once unmanageable hair, at (619) 334-8448 www.shearenvysalonboutique.com.
One of the pictures before getting the treatment... has a little girl but if you look closer a lot of different textures going on in one head of hair and thick at the roots = 
unmanageable


This is combed out after braids...yikes! looks like a tumbleweed....now I really need the keratin treatment

 Finally , a healthy grade of hair...after the keratin treatment. and only 1.5 inch of perm to grow and cut off after previously cutting 3inches off.



No comments:

Post a Comment