Friday, October 28, 2011

Homeschool Preschool - why or why not?

As my 3 year old gets older and turning the curve to being a 4 year old - which she considers a "big girl" - she keeps referring to her school. She keeps implying that she'll be ready to go to "big girl" school and when I tell her she already does work and homework at home...she says..."No mom, not school at home..I want to go to school at school". You get the jest of the conversation....


So here are my thoughts: even at the ripe age of 3 she's learning daily. She's counting, coloring, learning her shapes, colors, learning how to be  better listener, speaker as well as following directions. (we'll as best as an active 3 year old can). Recently we are working on the alphabet and spelling of her name as well as her writing skills. She is in school as far as I am concerned. Now officially, my oldest didn't go into preschool until she was 4 and the only reason we sent her is she had been the only child who hung around adults for so long she needed the social interaction of her peers. Even in her dance classes, she was placed with other kids due to her level so I felt it was instrumental that she get "socialized" - and preschool did just that.  With this second child however, and now that we are homeschooling the oldest, I am not sure if I see the need for preschool - in the traditional sense. Miss L (the 3year old) attends Sunday school frequently with children her age, has cousins whom she plays with her age (Miss J -my now 7 year old - didn't), attends dance classes, has play dates and playground buddies all the time. She isn't shy and really really has no qualms with making friends. So I'm thinking, homeschooling preschool at the age 4 will still be done. I'll place a little more focus on social activities for her where it's in a more "teacher" setting other than myself... but I think we are good. My question really lies with kindergarten....But I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I've got 2 years...


So what are your thoughts?  Will you or Do you already homeschool your preschooler or kindergartner? Why or why not? I would love to hear from you and your experiences as well as thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I am homeschooling my 3-year old as well. Mostly for financial reasons. Although it was also a suggestion from my mother-in-law and husband. Their thinking was more along the lines of, you've done such a great job so far why not keep doing it.
    He too goes to Sunday school, which I had to convince my husband to do. He didn't feel comfortable leaving our kid with strangers. I said that it would be a good experience for him to be with other people and children besides me all day.
    I will put him in Kindergarten at 5, and we'll see it how it goes. Me and my husband don't think school is important. But I won't elaborate on our orthodox thinking here. The only reason I don't want to homeschool is because I think my son is so social that he would enjoy going to school very much. It is such a big part of growing up. But at the same time I can teach him at home and just put him in extracurricular activities. Either way, he will learn everything he needs to succeed in life through me and his father.

    ReplyDelete